Friday, August 21, 2009

Artist Richard Finnell



I've received compliments on the painting that I used as my background for this blog - and even though it is not my work I still feel like I've earned bragging rights! This is one of my favorite paintings by my Uncle Richard Finnell. The painting used as my banner was the view outside his home in Queens, New York for many years. I love it for many reasons, all of them a bit difficult to put into words but I'll try.
It seems lonely and comforting all at the same time. Having spent my earlier years in the Bronx, I know what it's like to live in a place that is rarely quiet and you end up getting so used to the ever present noise that you are sometimes suddenly stunned when it's truly quiet....like on a day when snow blankets a busy street and for a short while everything is still and peaceful. It's nostalgic as well...reminds me of sweeter, gentler times in a place that has changed so much since I've left.

Richard is a prolific artist and has painted scenes from places all over the world, sometimes by looking at a photo, sometimes by looking at the visions in his mind, and often as a commissioned piece of art requested by someone who will ask him to paint something that means a lot to them.

His work has been displayed in many places and if you are ever in Queens, you will likely see a lot of his work on the walls of local places in the Corona section of this borough. If you would like to contact Richard to purchase one of his prints or commission him to paint you a piece for your own collection you can click here and visit his site on Fine Art America.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa, I love your new blog. This post is so interesting. It is wonderful the way your uncle is capturing his life around him. In such an evocative way. It's what art is about isn't it? In painting and writing.

    ReplyDelete